11/23/16

Now That's What I Call 70s [UK 2016]

After a quick glance at their discography, I'm convinced Queen just might hold the unofficial record for appearing on the most compilation albums in the UK. In addition to the hundreds of other collections the band has appeared on, their songs have appeared on more than twenty-five different volumes in the thirty-three years of Now That's What I Call Music compilations.
On November 25th, that total will grow by one when Now That's What I Call 70s is released. Amazingly, considering the NOW series was born in the early Eighties, this will be the first collection in the venerable UK series to focus squarely on the decade with fifty-nine songs filling three discs though there was a NOW 1970s single disc set issued in Canada back in 2010.
NOW 70s is a star-studded album featuring heavy-hitters like Sir Elton John, Sir Paul McCartney, Nobel Prize winner Bob Dylan, The Rolling Stones along with two more Johns: Lennon and Travolta.
Queen's "Don't Stop Me Now" kicks things off yet it is Michael Jackson who is the most featured star of the collection; along with Elton John, he is the only artist with more than one song on the compilation. In addition to his solo hit "Don't Stop Til You Get Enough", Jackson appears with his brothers for "I Want You Back" and "ABC". While many of the acts on the set are equally well-known in America, appearances by Status Quo, Roxy Music, The Undertones and Buzzcocks remind us that this is aimed towards the compilation crazy UK music fan born after 1980 who grew up listening to the record collections of their parents or even their grandparents.
Over the past ten years, there have been eight Now That's What I Call A PartyNow That's What I Call Party Anthems or Now That's What I Call Party Hits albums released in the United States, Canada or the United Kingdom. To wit:
  1. Now That's What I Call Party Hits [USA 2007]
  2. Now That's What I Call Party Anthems [CAN 2012]
  3. Now That's What I Call Party Anthems [USA 2012]
  4. Now That's What I Call Party Anthems Vol. 2 [CAN 2014]
  5. Now That's What I Call A Party [UK 2014]
  6. Now That's What I Call Party Anthems Vol. 2 [USA 2014]
  7. Now That's What I Call Party Anthems [UK 2015]
On December 2nd, 2016, number nine joins the club when Now That's What I Call Party Hits is released in the UK. As with the other UK compilations listed above, it's a three-disc collection featuring upbeat tracks - ballads need not apply - many of which have appeared on other NOW compilations. If say you haven't downloaded or purchased a NOW album in the past ten years, you can see what all the hubbub is about with the latest Now That's What I Call Party Anthems. Or you your could hold out until next year when the inevitable Now That's What I Call Party Anthems Hits compendium is released in time for all your Winter Holiday party needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment