9/15/26

The Hideaway 20: The 39 Most-Listened To Songs from August 2026

Scrobbling is the process of tracking the songs, albums, and artists you listen to. Since January 2025, I've used my monthly scrobbles, as collected on Last.fm, to count down The Hideaway 20, although there are usually more than twenty songs.
The first song scrobbled on August 1, 2026, was The Call's "Let The Day Begin". According to Last.fm, six other users scrobbled the 1989 song that day; it was the eighth time I scrobbled it this year. The song, one of my favorites, came up randomly on the shuffled Sonos playlist Hideaway House Blend and did not garner any further scrobbles from me for the remainder of the month.
The final song scrobbled on my Last.fm account on August 31, 2026, was Nancy Sinatra's sassy kiss-off "These Boots Are Made For Walkin'" from 1965. It was the seventh time in 2026 that I scrobbled the song, another favorite from the Hideaway House Blend, which added 50 songs in August, finishing with 5,808 songs to begin September's scrobbling.
For the thirty-one days of August 2026, I had 2,323 total scrobbles of 1,959 unique tracks, meaning about 34% of the playlist got played. I scrobbled daily with a minimum of two songs on August 3rd, just before I went in for surgery. Twenty days later, I managed to listen to music all day and into the night with 161 scrobbles. There was a three-way tie for the most scrobbled song and a thirty-six-way tie for the second most scrobbled song, giving me The Hideaway 39 for August 2026. The average year of the thirty-nine songs is 1987. Two songs mark their second appearance on a Hideaway 20 chart this year: "Fine Line" (#31) by Little Big Town was #30 in April and Portugal. The Man's "Feel It Still" (#2) was #23 in May.
August 2026 — Top Most Listened To Songs
ranktitleartistyear
39California Love2Pac feat. Dr. Dre1995
38When I Come AroundGreen Day1994
37Our HouseCrosby, Stills, Nash & Young1970
36Come Go With MeExposé1987
35RumbleseatJohn Mellencamp1985
34So In LoveOrchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark1985
33Never Too MuchLuther Vandross1981
32Down To the Nightclub (Bump City)Tower Of Power1972
31Fine LineLittle Big Town2007
30I Will Buy You A New LifeEverclear1997
29I Can't WaitNu Shooz1986
28No More WordsBerlin1984
27GasolinaDaddy Yankee2004
26Heartbreaker/Living Loving MaidLed Zeppelin1969
25EasyCommodores1977
2417 DaysPrince1984
23The Love I LostHarold Melvin & The Blue Notes1973
22Expressway to Your HeartThe Soul Survivors1967
21Black CarsGino Vannelli1984
20Rehumanize YourselfThe Police1981
19Make Some NoiseBeastie Boys2011
18Oh WellFleetwood Mac1969
17Funky Cold MedinaTone Lōc1989
16Rock With YouMichael Jackson1979
15Guitar ManBread1972
14Join TogetherThe Who1972
13Walk Right NowThe Jacksons1980
12Big EnergyLatto2022
11Eat Me AliveJudas Priest1984
10The MessageGrandmaster Flash and The Furious Five1982
09Like A Rolling StoneBob Dylan1965
08I Can Dream About YouDan Hartman1984
07SpellboundSiouxsie and the Banshees1981
06Baby BabyAmy Grant1991
05I'd Do Anything for Love (But I Won't...)Meat Loaf1993
04Every Woman In The WorldAir Supply1980
03BulletproofLa Roux2009
02Feel It StillPortugal. The Man2017
01We Got The BeatThe Go-Go's1981

🎧🎧🎧🎧🎧🎧
For this month's flashback, we're jumping back to August 2019 to celebrate the very first month of KDRI - The Drive, which recently celebrated its seventh year on air here in Tucson. We took control of the station, broadcasting simultaneously on both 830 AM and FM 101.7 on July 31, 2019, and stunted until Monday, August 5th, with The WORM - The Greatest Novelty Songs Of All-Time before switching to The Drive, serving the long-neglected audience of 45+ year olds who primarily listened to the radio on their daily commutes. We were the only locally-owned commercial station at the time, though for our first week we were commercial-free as we interviewed and hired our sales team. We played music originally from the 50s through the 80s, focusing on songs that none of the other local stations were playing. We called our jocks DriversAs the nation's only self-proclaimed music ninjaneer, I curated our music library, programmed the daily playlist, and answered listener questions about music. With no advertising budget, we became known as the station that gives away classic cars after one of our founders donated his restored 1965 Karmann Ghia. The 1965 Mustang below, named "Sally" by our listeners, was the second car we gave away. By the time I left in July 2023, The Drive had given away three cars. Since then, they have given away two more and are teasing a third one on the website. Sadly, only three people in the pic are currently associated with The Drive.
That's me in the back with the turquoise shirt.
I was mainly listening to the music I programmed in August 2019, figuring out which segues worked, how the songs from different decades sounded together, and thinking of other songs we could play as we continually developed our unique library, broadcast clocks, and music categories. Ironically, the only time I did not listen to The Drive during my four-year tenure was during my thirteen-mile, half-hour commute to and from the station, then located in a beautiful, historical building in the heart of downtown Tucson. The twenty-one songs below represent the twenty-one-song tie for most-listened-to song in August 2019. A few of the songs listed eventually made the station's regular playlist, and nearly all of them are part of The Hideaway House Blend.
August 2019 — Top 21 Most Listened To Songs
ranktitleartistyear
21It Seems There Are a Few Cars Blocking The...John Morris1969
20ShallowLady Gaga2018
19Rock and Roll Love LetterBay City Rollers1976
18Still The SameBob Seger1978
17Enter SandmanMetallica1991
16American GirlTom Petty and The Heartbreakers1976
15Last DanceDonna Summer1978
14Because The Night (MTV Unplugged)10,000 Maniacs1993
13Night MovesBob Seger1976
12Dani CaliforniaRed Hot Chili Peppers2006
11Love TrainThe O'Jays1972
10Baby, Now That I've Found YouThe Foundations1967
09Keep a Little SoulTom Petty and The Heartbreakers1982
08UmbrellaRihanna2007
07Workin' at the Car Wash BluesJim Croce1974
06Drive It Like You Stole ItSing Street2016
05I Spy (For the F.B.I.)The Untouchables1985
04Stayin' AliveBee Gees1977
03When Will I See You AgainThe Three Degrees1973
02De Do Do Do, De Da Da DaThe Police1980
01You're So VainCarly Simon1972

No comments:

Post a Comment