12/31/15

PLAYLISTICLE - What I Listened To The Most In 2015 - HERC's Year in Review - Part 2 of 3

Last time we met, I listed the bottom 40 of my Top 103 Most Listened To Songs according to the last.fm scrobbling app. Today we're diving into the next 36 songs on our year-end countdown, those ranked from 63-28. We'll finish it off with the Top 27 next time out. Click on the song title to listen.

#song titleartistyear
63The JokerSteve Miller Band1973
62RelaxFrankie Goes to Hollywood1983
61The Show Must Go OnQueen1991
60Goody Two ShoesAdam Ant1982
59I Don't Like MondaysThe Boomtown Rats1979
58Turn To StoneElectric Light Orchestra1977
57ThirteenBig Star1972
56(Don't Fear) The ReaperBlue Öyster Cult1976
55Snow Snow SnowBand of Merrymakers2015
The first group of nine songs is a somewhat mixed bag, split between classic rock and new wave with some flavoring from the legendary and ironically named Big Star and the new for 2015 "Snow Snow Snow" by the appropriately named Band of Merrymakers. Not to give too many secrets away but "The Show Must Go On" is often the last song played before The Hideaway closes up for the night.

#song titleartistyear
54Writing's on the WallSam Smith2015
53Switchin' To Glide / This Beat Goes OnThe Kings1980
52Who'll Be The Fool TonightLarsen/Feitan Band1980
51I Got 5 On ItLuniz1995
50Tennessee WhiskeyChris Stapleton2015
49Uptown FunkMark Ronson2014
48Show Me What I'm Looking ForCarolina Liar2008
47Dani CaliforniaRed Hot Chili Peppers2006
46Only One YouT.G. Sheppard1981
The newest 007 theme kicks off the next batch of tunes which is even more all over the place than the first. A power-pop beautifully segued two song masterpiece of early Eighties rock radio comes courtesy of The Kings followed by an equally chill soft rock jam from the same year by Larsen/Feitan Band which I have never heard on the radio.Then you got hip-hop, authentic country, a tribute to Eighties funk, finely constructed Swedish pop, masters of alt rock funk and a remnant of the Urban Cowboy period of country pop. Though the songs inhabit different playlists and come from different genres, throw them all in a shuffle and that's what kind of music I like.

#song titleartistyear
45Turn to StoneJoe Walsh1971
44Can't You SeeThe Marshall Tucker Band1973
43White LiesJason & The Scorchers1985
42Who's Behind The DoorZebra1983
41The Back Of Your HandDwight Yoakam2003
40Maybe TomorrowStereophonics2003
39I Forgot To Be Your LoverWilliam Bell1968
38Driver's SeatSniff 'n' the Tears1978
37LowdownBoz Scaggs1976
Nearly half of these songs are country proving you can take the boy out of the country but you can't take the country out of the boy. All those Seventies Summers drinking Frosty root beers and feeding the jukebox at the Cow Talk left an indelible impression. Like "The Show Must Go On" mentioned earlier, the William Bell song above, the basis for Billy Idol's "To Be A Lover", often signals last call here at The Hideaway.
picture by the soft rock kid

#song titleartistyear
36Roll with the ChangesREO Speedwagon1978
35This Is ItKenny Loggins1979
34PhotographRingo Starr1973
33Loves Me Like a RockPaul Simon1973
3299 LuftballonsNena1983
31Lunatic FringeRed Rider1981
30Shoot to ThrillAC/DC1980
29Hey NineteenSteely Dan1980
28CrazyPatsy Cline1961
For today's final nine songs, I see several songs that soothe and comfort me and I require frequent soothing and comforting. I am on record as saying "Roll With The Changes" is the gospel truth in my private church of rock and roll, an endlessly uplifting rocker which picked up a few in memoriam plays when the guitarist on the track, Gary Richrath, passed away earlier this year. Ringo's "Photograph" is a vivid and happy reminder of my father (as is "Crazy") who also passed away this year while "Loves Me Like A Rock" is how I like to think my Mom loves me though deep down I know she loves my sister more. AC/DC's mighty "Shoot To Thrill" has always been a favorite since I first heard it over at Robert Rottet's house in 1980 and these days, it serves as a healing salve to my growing dissatisfaction with the rest of the drivers on the streets all around The Hideaway. There is no telling how many lives this one song, played at maximum volume in The Blueberry, has saved.

1 comment:

  1. Another interesting mix of music here. I really like your varied tastes, my friend. That is probably why we get along so well.

    ReplyDelete