11/25/13

Radio Daze, Vol. Nine [HERC's M!X]


The one where the music triggers several 
painful memories for the soft rock kid.

In this sometimes touching and often moving installment of the ongoing Radio Daze series, the soft rock kid takes us back to the months of July through October 1982.  HERC was left a little down after reading about a few of Mark's teenage tragedies but it was nothing a little Bay City Rollers couldn't fix.  (Good call, sir.)  Hard to be sad when rockin' and rollin' with the tartan plaid - "It's crazy but it's true".

  • You Can Do Magic – America, released July 1982, Pop #8, AC #5.  This one is hard to listen to and write about because I attach it to a bad marching band arrangement I played in the fall of 1983.  Maybe I’m just bitter because I didn’t get play the trumpet solo.  I never really liked this group and this attempt at a late career comeback did nothing to change my mind.
  • Still They Ride – Journey, released July 1982, Pop #19, AC #37, Mainstream Rock #47. I had the Escape album on cassette and would always skip this track because I thought the better ballad on that album was "Open Arms". The fact that it was on the end of side 1 made skipping easier. Now that I hear this power ballad again, I think it has held up well.  Still, I liked it better when they reworked it for their next album and titled it "Faithfully".
  • Hey! Baby – Anne Murray, released August 1982, Pop [did not chart], AC #26, Country #7. Have you ever been to a theme park and been to one of those shows where they hire college kids to perform in big production numbers that include a series of bad arrangements of pop songs?  That’s what this reminds me of.  I actually like Anne Murray, but this version just makes me want to hear the Bruce Channel original with Delbert McClinton on harmonica.
  • I Only Want To Be With You – Nicolette Larson, released August 1982, Pop #53, AC #15. Two mediocre covers in a row.  You really shouldn’t cover Dusty Springfield but plenty of covers of this song exist anyway.  I’m sure Herc prefers the Bay City Rollers cover.  Me, I’ll take The Tourists version.
  • I Will Always Love You – Dolly Parton, released August 1982, Pop #53, AC #17, Country #1.  Originally recorded in 1974, they pulled this one out of mothballs and re-recorded the song in 1982 when it was included on the soundtrack of The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas.  I think someone else later covered it for another movie in the ‘90s.  I’ll pass on all versions.
  • Somebody’s Baby – Jackson Browne, released August 1982, Pop #7, AC #14. Speaking of soundtracks, how can you hear this song and not think about Stacy losing her virginity to Ron in the baseball dugout?  Neither writer Cameron Crowe or director Amy Heckerling wanted this song in Fast Times At Ridgemont High but they didn’t get to make that call.  Related note: the DVD of that movie contains the best commentary I’ve heard.  Oh, what do I think about this song?  It’s awite.
  • The One You Love – Glenn Frey, released September 1982, Pop #15, AC #2.  One of those songs that, when you hear for the first time, you feel like you’ve heard it before. That smooth scalewise sax line is immediately likable and then Frey uses the same melody in the verse.  It’s my favorite song on this playlist even though it reminds me of an ill-advised hayride date in the fall of ‘82.  Long story short: that night ended up with me alone at the counter of the local Jack In the Box [insert sad trombone sound here].
  • Nobody – Sylvia, released September 1982, Pop #15, AC #5, Country #1.  A catchy little story song.  It reached the top of the country charts, but I’m having a hard time hearing much country in this.  I like it, but the background vocals are easily mocked; my friends and I often did the mocking.
  • Gypsy – Fleetwood Mac, released September 1982, Pop #12, AC #9, Mainstream Rock #4. When this was released, I didn’t have much time for the “old ‘70s acts” like Fleetwood Mac and Jackson Browne because I was buying the latest New Romantic technopop releases.  That was a mistake on my part.  This is a great song with vocals from Stevie Nicks (Luv ya, Stevie!  Call me!) and brilliant guitar work from Lindsay Buckingham.
  • Southern Cross – Crosby, Stills & Nash, released October 1982, Pop #18, AC #6, Mainstream Rock #39. I never liked CSN.
  • Muscles – Diana Ross, released October 1982, Pop #10, AC #36, R&B #4. Written and produced by Michael Jackson, Ross sounds a lot like MJ on this one; it could easily have been an outtake from the Thriller album.  I remember liking this one when it was released, but the radio stations in my area never seemed to play it.  Now it doesn’t even get any playing time on oldies station.  Shame.
  • You And I – Eddie Rabbitt with Crystal Gayle, released October 1982, Pop #7, AC #2, Country #1. I’m not much for country music, but DAY-umm this is a fantastic duet.  I can sing both parts if you need that sort of thing.  I think every wedding I attended in the early and mid-‘80s included a performance of this song.


3 comments:

  1. This week, on a very special episode of Herc's Hideaway...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Herc, another bang up collection of tracks. Good choices here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most of the songs I see listed are too 'high profile,' tracks by easy to find artists. Much of the appeal of the 5 discs was the HTF on CD tracks, many lower Top 40 charters.

    ReplyDelete