11/26/13

Have You Heard? FOREVERLY [2013]



For their second long-player, the Brothers Everly recorded a bunch of songs that Papa Ike Everly used to play around the ol' homestead.  It was quite a departure from their previous hit singles "Wake Up Little Susie" and "Bye Bye Love", included on their self-titled debut which peaked at #16 on the Top 200 in an all too brief three week run. Despite that album's success, Songs Our Daddy Taught Us failed to chart.  It wasn't until 1962 that a song from the album made the Hot 100: "I'm Here To Get My Baby Out Of Jail" remains Phil and Don's all-time lowest charting single, peaking at #76.


Through the years, numerous musicians have been inspired and influenced by the rootsy folk and country performances on this album. Fifty-five years after it's release, the unlikely pairing of Billie Joe Armstrong and Norah Jones have released a song-by-song full-length tribute to the album which they're calling Foreverly.  The first single from the album is "Long Time Gone":


HERC has been listening to it over the past week and, as a huge fan of both artists, he's surprised how much he's been digging it.  While the music seems more of a natural fit for the versatile Jones, Armstrong emerges from his standard snotty punk persona and together they do the Everlys and their Daddy proud.  HERC is making this a late entry on his Top Albums of 2012. 

1 comment:

  1. Doesn't really seem like my thing, but I thought I'd at least give a few tracks a courtesy listen. I ended up listening to the whole thing and except for one song (Barbara Allen) I liked it. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete