5/5/12

We're All Workin' For MCA Now

"M.C. for what I AM and do
The A is for Adam and the lyrics true
So as I pray and hope and the message is sent
And I AM living in the dreams that I have dreamt
Because I'm down with the three the unstoppable three
Me and Adam and D. were born to M.C.
And my body and soul and mind are pure
Not polluted or diluted or damaged beyond cure
Just lyrics from I to you recited
Arrested, bailed but cuffed and indicted
Enter the arena as I take center stage
The lights set low and the night has come of age
Take the microphone in hand as that I am a professional
Speak my knowledge to the crowd and the ed. is special
For I AM a bard but not the last one
I'm my own king and this is my castle
Dwell in realms of now but vidi those of the past
Seen a glimpse from ahead and I don't think it's gonna last"

- Adam Yauch aka MCA of Beastie Boys "A Year And A Day"
from the seminal album Paul's Boutique
track 40 in the playlist below



HERC, like the rest of the world, has been in a funk the past 24 hours, give or take - Adam Yauch was given to us and now he's been taken from us.  His words, his rhymes, his music, his causes, his daughter, they all live on.  

Get some sleep Adam, you finally made it to Brooklyn.

The lone point of light here at the Hideaway has been our first commenter, John Book, another amigo of HERC's from way back before the interwebs were unfurled.  We were - and always will be - pen pals.  

John is right there on HERC's Reading List with his site, This Is Book's Music and he's gracing us with the above playlist, full of essential Beastie beats and rhymes, both original recipe and extra sampled, in our time of need.  

Head on over to John's site to read his MCA tribute and bask in the insight and outlook of "music's biggest fan" and check out his profile on Spotify for more in-depth artist playlists like this one.  My man tweets, Facebooks, my_spaces and podcasts too.


Until next time, HERC will see you at Paul's Boutique.  Ask for Janice.

No comments:

Post a Comment