1/1/16

PLAYLISTICLE - What I Listened To The Most In 2015 - HERC's Year in Review - Part 3 of 3

Before we get to the twenty-seven songs I listened to the most in 2015, here's a quick rundown of the 40 artists I listened to the most this past year, according to the ever vigilant last.fm scrobbler app as it monitored my Spotify, Apple Music, iTunes and foobar2000 plays:
40Rod Stewart30Styx
39Blondie29Journey
38The Police28INXS
37Talking Heads27George Strait
36Pat Benatar26Pink Floyd
35The Brian Setzer Orchestra25The Clash
34Billy Joel24ZZ Top
33REO Speedwagon23Steely Dan
32Stevie Wonder22The Cars
31Willie Nelson21Eagles
20Ringo Starr10AC/DC
19Adam Ant9Tommy Collins
18Led Zeppelin8The Beach Boys
17Van Halen7Paul McCartney
16Linda Ronstadt6Dwight Yoakam
15ABBA5Hall & Oates
14Wings4Simple Minds
13Brothers Osborne3Prince
12Don Henley2Electric Light Orchestra
11Roy Orbison1Queen

It's fairly straightforward, somewhat accurate to what I would describe as my favorite artists though the Beatles would have probably made the Top 10 had they been scrobbled. Tommy Collins is clearly an anomaly. I fell in like with one of his songs early in the Summer and then listened to his five-disc boxed set all the way through one night. With the exception of Brothers Osborne, these are the artists whose albums I listened to the most this past year, plain and simple. But where's Kiss? The Rolling Stones? ABC? Bay City Rollers? Judas Priest? Supertramp? Heaven 17? Rosanne Cash? Heart? Chic? Donna Summer? KC & the Sunshine Band? Steve Miller Band? New Order? Michael Jackson? .....Back to the countdown of What I Listened To The Most in 2015 - The Final Twenty-Seven Songs!

#song titleartistyear
27Midnight At The OasisMaria Muldaur1974
26Any Way You Want ItJourney1980
25Lovely DayBill Withers1977
24Nice GirlsEye to Eye1982
23Can't Feel My FaceThe Weeknd2015
22I Wanna Get Next To YouRose Royce1976
21Woman in LoveBarbra Streisand1980
20What Becomes Of The BrokenheartedJimmy Ruffin1966
19Groove MeKing Floyd1970
Two surprises among this group for me:
  • number 24 "Nice Girls" by Eye To Eye is a song I probably would have liked back in 1982 but I don't think I ever heard it. I give full credit to the soft rock kid for the hookup and
  • after years of publicly voicing my failure to get Streisand's popularity and not liking any of her solo stuff, I fell under the spell of her singing Barry Gibb's "Woman In Love" on an American Top 40 replay on iheartradio this year and played it often.
#song titleartistyear
18ThunderstruckAC/DC1990
17Do It AgainSteely Dan1972
16Little Red CorvettePrince1982
15Something to Do with My HandsThomas Rhett2012
14If There Was a WayDwight Yoakam1990
13HighwaymanThe Highwaymen1985
12I'm Your ManWham!1985
11Into the NightBenny Mardones1980
10Baby Come BackPlayer1977
With the exception of the Thomas Rhett track at number 15, this block of nine tracks probably has the highest concentration of my all-time favorite songs. Also interesting to note another country music pocket right in the middle of the block featuring the present, the past, and the founding fathers in successive order. Speaking of which, I would love for Chris Stapleton to take a run at Dwight's "If There Was A Way" - seems like a match made in a dimly-lit honky-tonk if there ever was one.

#song titleartistyear
9Tube Snake BoogieZZ Top1981
8The Race Is OnGeorge Jones1964
7Cruel to Be KindNick Lowe1979
6KandiOne Eskimo2009
5Eminence FrontThe Who1982
4Kickstart My HeartMötley Crüe1989
3If You Can't Bite Don't GrowlTommy Collins1965
2The Christmas SongThe Raveonettes2003
1Stay A Little LongerBrothers Osborne2015
Dig that Top 9 - I am nothing if not all over the map. Blues-boogie followed by honky tonk, then power pop and soul-sampling indie rock into classic rock and then Eighties hair metal before going back a quarter of a century to the Bakersfield Sound and leaping forward to a lo-fi Christmas carol before ending with a deeply passionate country song with guitars for days. And there you have it, my most-listened-to song for 2015 just happened to be released in 2015 - who da thunk? Until just yesterday, I had never heard the song other than when I played it but last night, while dining at Texas Roadhouse, it came on their in-house station and a great meal got just a little better as my foot kept time and I air-guitared the song's ending solo under the table.

Curious how the years broke out among my Top 103 of 2015?  The average year of release is 1985 while the median is 1980 which is also the year most represented with a dozen tracks. 2015 is a close runner-up (or possible winner if you ask Steve Harvey) with 10 songs on the countdown. By decade, the Eighties dominated with the Seventies not far behind - together they accounted for more than two-thirds of the 103 songs. And if you were wondering what song was number 104 like I was, wonder no more - the mystery has been solved. Number 104 is the bearded/hoodie/khaki blues-rock of Clutch and this is the only song of theirs I have ever heard.
Each year-end, I look forward to the definitive mashups of all the biggest hits of the year from both DJ Earworm and Daniel Kim. Both men delivered wonderful time capsules this year as you can see and hear for yourself below:


1 comment:

  1. Those two 2015 mash-ups were interesting, especially since this was the first year I had listened to current pop music in a long time.

    Of course, I really enjoyed seeing your "most played" list more. That's an interesting collection of tunes indeed.

    ReplyDelete